Thursday, July 3, 2008

When Life Gives You Lemons...Make Lemonade!

I know that nothing beats a nice cool glass of lemonade during the hot summer. I typically only drink water or fruit juice but it’s nice every once in a while to have something different. So when I came across this recipe in a book titled Good Day for a Picnic, I thought I’d try it. I served it to several ladies from our church for a ladies get together and they all seemed to have enjoyed it. By the end of the night there was only about a cup's worth left!
I doubled the recipe but you can make as much or as little as you want.

The recipe is:

Easy Lemonade
Makes about 6 servings

Juice of 8 lemons
¾ cup of sugar, or to taste
6 or 7 cups of water

In a serving pitcher, stir the lemon juice and sugar with 6 or 7 cups of water until the sugar is dissolved. Taste and adjust the sweetness. Serve over ice or chill. Lemonade keeps respectably well in the fridge.

Remember, room-temperature lemons produce more juice. You can leave the lemon pulp in, but I strained mine out. Also, remember that different lemons in the supermarket often aren’t very juicy. Soft (but not too soft) lemons contain more juice.

1 comment:

LauraW said...

Found your site through Meredith's "Striving to Serve at Home" blog. On Friday when some our very closest friends came over I was a little disappointed I didn't buy any drink (juice or oranges for juice). I get a bit paranoid about everything being "just right" when we have guests. When they got here I was presented with a basket of lemons. Perfect! What a blessing :) I doubled your recipe but only used 1 cup sugar. It was the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for the posting.
Laura :)