Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring has Sprung!

Well, the first day of spring is tomorrow and I am officially getting the gardening bug! It's seems that every year around this time I get out all of the books along with my notebook full of magazine articles on how to plan the perfect garden for our yard. I always plant a few flowers here and there and try to take care of the huge hydrangeas that are all around our yard. However, I have big dreams for our yard, it's not that big but I think it has potential. I've always wanted a place outside that I could go and sit in a chair and look at flowers, sipping hot tea, and be able to be still before the Lord. When I'm in the middle of nature I see His beauty much more clearly than I would sitting inside. While getting ready for this season of planting and growing, I noticed a book that my mom had purchased at a used book sale sometime last year. It's called The Gardener's Guide to Life: Timeless Lessons Based on the Principles of Gardening Compiled and Edited by Criswell Freeman. It is filled with great quotes and old sayings and here are a few that I thought I'd share with you.


Did you ever think how a bit of land displays the character of the owner?
Laura Ingalls Wilder


Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors.
Mary Cantwell


Flowers are heavens masterpieces.
Dorothy Parker


A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.
Walt Whitman

Photography by Liz West

Photography by Liz West

No comments: